Wednesday February 26th
On
Wednesday I went to the City court. The most exciting thing that happened that
day was the hearing. I heard the judge mention that they do hearings almost
every day at 2. This is good, I enjoy the hearings, more than the other events. While I was waiting for the hearing to start,
a lawyer I recognized from the County court trial walked in. I remember her as
the defense attorney. I guess the public defenders are shuffled through
different courts. From what I heard from her talking to another lawyer, she ended
up losing the case. She did not expect to either.
After
a short wait, the hearing started. The first and only witness was a police
officer. The prosecuting attorney basically walked him through what happened.
The officer was watching a McDonald’s parking lot, which was known for drug
activity. He saw a women enter a man’s car. They turned towards each other and
exchanged something, then they both left. The officer followed the man and
found crack cocaine in his pants. The man also completed an incorrect turn out
of the parking lot as he did not turn on his blinkers.
The
defense attorney talked about why he didn’t think the traffic stop had been
legal. I guess police need a probable cause to pull someone over. One thing
that I noticed is that with all the defense lawyers so far, they each have some
elaborate hand movement when they are questioning the witness. The first lawyer
like the sort of wheel his hands and fold them over his chest with his chin
resting on this right hand. This lawyer put his left hand behind his back, sort
of like parade rest.
He gestured with his
right hand.
No comments:
Post a Comment